Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Last Painter of Happiness

"La vie ne m'a pas toujours sourit, mais j'ai toujours sourit à la vie."

-Raoul Dufy

I saw this beautiful and charming cartoon one day in university - I was escaping a very boring art history class, and I discovered that a class on the History of Animation was being held right next door. That's where I first saw 'The Invisible Moustache of Raoul Dufy' (from UPA studios):




Dufy was a perfect mix of craftsman and artist - he started out making paintings at the beginning of the 20th century but branched out into ceramics, textiles, set design, commercial illustration, interior decorating and printmaking. He's had a huge influence on me in more ways than one.











 I was lucky enough to see a small exhibit of his ceramics at a design museum while travelling in Belgium a few years ago:







L'artiste lui-même.


No comments :

Post a Comment