Friday, April 2, 2010

Aaaaa-eee!!

Here's the poster I made for my next music performance happening in my old hood of Verdun (also lovingly known as Verdump). It's inspired by the mysterious ground drawings in the Naszca desert in northern Peru. There are about 30 of them over the entire face of the desert, and they are so huge that they can only be seen from an aerial perspective, yet they were made thousands of years ago. One of the drawings is of a man with an owl head pointing to the sky and the ground. I remember seeing it many years ago in one of my books in high school.


In other news, my friend Glenn and I recently watched an NFB documentary about traditional music festival that happened at UQÀM in the 1970s called La Veillée des Veillées. I listened to the record at Christmas and liked it quite a lot, so I was excited to see the concert itself. The idea was to have traditional Québecois, Acadian, Irish, French and Brittany music represented on one stage. I was especially stoked to see my favorite dude, a singer from Louisiana called D.L Ménard (He's called "the Cajun Hank Williams", but if you ask me Hank should be called the "Alabama D.L Ménard"). D.L (Doris Léon) lived in Erath, Louisiana his whole life, working as a furniture maker. He's still around, so hopefully I can hear him one day. Meanwhile, check out this video and you'll see that this guy is the real deal:

D.L singing "La Porte d'en Arrière" with the Louisiana Aces

Come check out the show happening in Verdun, it's gonna be off da hook!

1 comment :