Saturday, August 31, 2013

'Everything a man should be'



I capped off my summer in Newfoundland with a quick trip to Brigus. I've been wanting to go there ever since I read this fantastic book by Jennifer Niven - the title refers to Captain Bob Bartlett, a native son of Brigus, and rescuer of the shipwrecked crew of the 1913 Karluk expedition.

His Brigus family home is now a National Historic Site - and a very cozy historic site it is. I can imagine how nice it would have been to come back to it after a couple of years trapped in the Arctic ice.

(I also read this great book by Michael Winter - a fictional historical novel set in Brigus in which Captain Bartlett features as a main character...I got a little bit fixated I guess.)

A corner of The 'Artic' Room.







Frank, the National Historic Pug-in-a-Boat.

In other news, school's back in this week. Some interesting things will come out of this year - many more posts on that in the next little while.

No comments :

Post a Comment